Speedy McAllister is an old red-violet steam locomotive who comes across as being somewhat gruff and blunt in character, but means well and is helpful to experienced chuggers and trainees alike. He prefers more industrial jobs as opposed to those with a high degree of customer relations. Speedy McAllister likes to take his time and never likes to rush which is in direct contrast to his name, Speedy this leads him to find impatient chuggers annoying. He is old, wise, and will often take time to think. He prefers doing jobs where there is peace and quiet.
Speedy McAllister appears to be loosely based on various streamlined 4-6-4 locomotives with the "shovelnose" design, such as the Chicago and North Western (CNW) Class E-4, the New York Central (NYC) Commodore Vanderbilt, the Milwaukee Road class F7, and the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy (CB&Q) Class S-4a, minus the tender. When he collects coal, it is deposited through an opening in his roof behind his firebox and water is stored centrally in a tank, much like Olwin.
Speedy is painted red violet with a light sky blue underbite, and a blue and gold streamlined casting. His cab roof is also painted blue.
- Speedy is the only chugger in Chuggington with an actual last name.
- Speedy is actually the slowest chugger in Chuggington.
- Sadly, Speedy’s UK voice actor, Warren Clarke, died in 2014.
- In Polish, he is called "Chyży", which basically is a translation of his English name.
- He is disliked by Frostini in some episodes, due to his lack of empathy for him in the meltdown incident at his factory.
- Speedy has not appeared on the show since the fifth season.
- Speedy is the only chugger to date with a 4-6-4 wheel arrangement.
- Speedy has a visible smokestack with a whistle placed in front of it, as well as what appear to be smoke deflectors on either side. In real life, none of the locomotives that were inspired by his design had these features.
- His siderods were reused from Olwin's, and one of his driving wheels were reused for Piper.
- Speedy's US voice actor, Stefan Ashton Frank, sang two songs for the Thomas & Friends series: Misty Island Rescue and Sir Topham Hatt.
- Season 2 - Frostini's Meltdown, Babysitter Brewster (does not speak), Chug of War, Stop the Press, Emery (cameo), The Brewster Booster (does not speak), Quizmaster Hodge (cameo), Heave Ho Harrison (cameo), Scrub-A-Chug (cameo), Chilly Chuggers (cameo), Rolling Reporter Wilson, Zephie and the Bees, Brewster Meets the Mayor (does not speak), Chugger of the Year, A Pat on the Paintwork (cameo) and Toot's Tall Tale (cameo)
- Season 3 - Gold Wheels (cameo), Special Helper Wilson (cameo), Hodge Can't Wait (does not speak), Magnetic Wilson (picture only), Zephie's Star Club (cameo), Undercover Action Chugger, Movie Maker Brewster, Top Secret Koko (cameo), Toot's New Friend and Wobbly Wheels
- Season 4 - Rescue at Rocky Ridge, Runaway Koko, Brewster Makes Tracks, Back Up Brewster, Track Laying Brewster, Explorer Koko (cameo), High Rise Rescue (cameo), Snow Patrol, Fearless Wilson (cameo), We Are the Chuggineers (cameo), Team Trainee (cameo), Record Breaker Koko (cameo), The Tootington Tunnel (cameo), Iron Chuggers and Round Up Wilson (cameo)
- Season 5 - Tour Guide Harrison, Delivery Challenge and Fletch Shines
Speedy has not appeared on the show since 2015.