Old Puffer Pete (usually referred to as simply Pete) is an elderly steam chugger and the oldest chugger in the series.
Biography Old Puffer Pete grew up in what is now Old Town; during his trainee years he was very similar to Wilson, finding it hard to pay attention and not realizing his own special talents. When Old Town closed down, Pete, along with Olwin and Speedy were relocated to current Chuggington, where he was presumably modified into a tank engine; despite this, he still held on to his tender, Terry.
As Pete grew older, he became more prone to breaking down; once, his smoke box became worn out, but due to the fact that the mold was broken years ago, it was very hard to find a new one. Around this time, Pete would have his one hundred and fiftieth birthday celebration, performed by Wilson, Brewster and Koko.
Pete later started working at the Drop and Load Yard with Cormac, where many events took place- such as Pete becoming trapped in a strangle of chains, and he and Cormac challenging each other to who can make the most deliveries the fastest. It was around this time that Pete became prone to "sleep riding".
After Speedy's presumed retirement, Pete took over his duties at the quarry, leaving Cormac completely in charge of the Drop and Load Yard.
Old Puffer Pete is a supercentenarian steam chugger who is at least a hundred and fifty years old. Despite his age, he is still a hard worker; and while he is a bit slow most of the time, he doesn't let it stop him and prefers to takes things "slow but steady". Pete loves to watch the trainees work and learn, and always tries to pass on his wisdom if needed.
While some chuggers feel that Pete is not of worth anymore, Pete is very much a hard working, sophisticated chugger- something that many chuggers have come to accept over the years. Pete has a very good sense of humor and loves to play little jokes on his colleagues; he can be a bit forgetful, though, especially when it comes to names.
Old Puffer Pete's basis has yet to be revealed; he seems to be loosely based on parts of early 4-4-0 locomotives from the United States, such as Union Pacific's "No. 119", "The General", and "Jupiter", but also appears to resemble a DRG Class 62, mainly due to his buffer beam, smoke deflectors, and coal bunker behind his cab, but with a 4-4-0 configuration. If you look at him carefully, Old Puffer Pete seems to resemble some various 4-4-0T tank engines specifically built by Beyer Peacock Manchester. He also resembles the London South Western Railway 415 Class “Adam’s Radial” tank engine but shortened, lacks the rear buffers and narrowed down to a 4-4-0T.
Old Puffer Pete is painted black with gold-painted lining, and a red cab roof, buffer beam, and window frames. His wheels are also gold with red spokes.
|First used||Last used||Sound Effect|
|Bang Klang Wilson||Active|
|First used||Last used||Sound Effect|
|Nurse Wilson||Nurse Wilson|
- His glasses can spin around.
- He is referred to as "Peter" by Olwin.
- During Season 4 and Season 5, Pete would occasionally wear a pair of head lamps during night or foggy settings. As of Season 6, he wears them permanently.
- As shown in Cool Wilson, he cannot handle heat well, especially during hot weather.
- He seems to be able to remember the names of older engines making it seem that he only forgets the names of those he has not known for long.
- In the Brazilian dub, he is called "Pedro".
- In the German dub, he is called "Großvater Pete", which literally means "Grandfather Pete". In the Hebrew version, he is referred to as "שיפי המתנשף". In the Polish dub, he called "Stary Pit".
- He is one of the four steam engines to work in Chuggington, the other beings are Olwin, Speedy McAllister and Piper.
- Old Puffer Pete is the only steam Chugger with a proper coal bunker. He is also the only known steam Chugger who had a tender car in the past.
- Concept art shows that at one point, Old Puffer Pete was considered to have his eyes placed on top of his smokebox where is glasses is placed. However, it was rejected for unknown reasons. He also originally had no coal bunker, with a completely open-end cab.
- Old Puffer Pete is the only steam chugger who has a door at the back of his cab. As a result, his cab controls are not shown.
- When Old Puffer Pete goes slowly, his speed is most likely 25 mph to 30 mph (40 km/h to 48 km/h). However when Old Puffer Pete occasionally goes fast, his top speed is likely to be 60 mph (97 km/h).
- It is mostly due to the fact that Old Puffer Pete occasionally goes fast but most preferred to go slowly and steadier.